This building houses the town's central library, originally built as the Civic Centre, but later the library was transferred here in July 1938. Bolton was the third town in the country to adopt the Public Libraries Act of 1850, opened its doors on October 12th 1853 in the Exchange Building. The library also held a small museum collection, when Dr. Chadwick paid for a museum in Queens Park, which opened in 1881, items transferred to the new building. Inside this modern library which includes a video and audio section, a foyer shop sells various items including books of local interest. In the basement is an aquarium.
The museum has a web site at http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk/
There is also an ongoing project of images you can visit at http://www.Our.Treasures.org/
An art gallery containing 18th and 19th Century
watercolours, and contemporary art. The gallery also runs special exhibitions
from time to time. (It was not possible to photograph within the gallery).
Of note the library owns works by Bolton born Thomas Moran from the United
Go outside the library into the virtual walk
[Home] [Bolton] [Index] [Gallery] [Webcam] [Updated] [Walk] [Drive] [Links]
DISCLAIMER: Errors and Omissions Excepted.