Moss Bank Way
The A58 Bolton Ring Road taking traffic past the north west of Bolton, this
section take its name from Moss Bank Park. The
name is derived from 'moss' meaning peaty or marshy land, and bank from the
higher land over the ground where the landowners built their house to the
north. The lease for the land was drawn around 1739-40 between Captain Roger
Dewhurst of Halliwell Hall and Peter Ainsworth, a bleacher also from
Halliwell, and records detailed lands called the moss and lightbounds.
The Ainsworth's built a hall, but it has since been demolished, but a tower
remains in Moss Bank Park which is now a major
North east is Smithills and east is Halliwell. North is Barrow Bridge, south and east is Doffcocker.
26k GIF 108k JPEG
Moss Bank Way at Moss Bank Park 1999
This is in the direction of Smithills and the park entrance can be seen on the
Please email the webmaster to
request additional depth, detailing what you want to see.
DISCLAIMER: Errors and Omissions Excepted.